Securus offers Securus Video Connect or video visitation which permits you to securely connect with your incarcerated friends, family members or clients from your home, office, or anywhere. It is done by using an Android or iOS app or a PC. If you use it with a PC, you have to make sure to have a webcam and internet access. So, it seems that you do not need an app for doing video visitation if you use a Windows PC. You just need to access the Securus site, having an internet connection and webcam. However, for more information, you are able to contact the customer service.
Here I have some information for you about using Securus Video Visitation.
Technical Specifications for Using Securus Video Visitation
There are several things that you need to pay attention to when you want to do a video visitation with your incarcerated ones on Securus. Several things that you have to pay attention to are the internet, configurations which are supported by Securus Online, supported smartphones if you want to do it through your smartphones and some other things as you are able to read below.
For the internet, you have to make sure that it has a good speed to make sure that your video visitation is smooth. It is recommended for you to have 256KB minimum upstream and downstream speed. Before you start your video visitation, you are able to test the network speed by going to speedtest.net.
For configurations which are supported by Securus Online, you are able to use Windows XP, 7, 8, or 10 with Firefox or Internet Explorer 9, 9, 10, or 11. If you want to optimize performance for Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11, you are able to add “securustech.net” to Compatibility view settings. You have to verify that the latest Java software is installed or you can get it at www.java.com. You only need one version. If you find that the camera does not work, you are able to uninstall all Java versions, reboot your PC, and install the latest version of Java. You have to add https://securusvideovisitation.securustech.net to the exception list under the security tab in the Windows “Control Panel” under Java control panel.
If you use MacOS, you have to make sure that the version is 10.9+ with Firefox or Safari.
If you use smartphones for video visitation, the supported smartphones are Android 4.0+ and Apple iOS 8.0+. On your smartphone, you have to run the Securus Video Visit application for doing video visitation.
There are some other things that you have to note as explained on the Securus Tech site.
- It is important for you to note that most built-in cameras on laptops, smartphones and tablets provide sufficient picture quality.
- When you do your video visitation, it is being monitored and recorded.
- Make sure that you do not use video visitation while you are driving.
- It is recommended for you to use a headset or earbuds with a microphone.
It is also important for you to note that Securus does not have responsibility for the quality of your internet connection or for the setup and operation of your web camera, computer or other hardware. If there are problems related to your internet connection or hardware, it should be directed to your Internet service provider or a qualified computer repair technician.
About Securus App for Your Mobile Phone
You are able to download the Securus app on your mobile phone to make it easier for you to stay connected. In the Securus app, there are a number of things that you are able to do as you are able to read below.
- You are able to create a Securus Online account.
- You are able to add funds to calling accounts so you will not miss a call.
- You are able to enroll, schedule and communicate using Video Connect.
- You are able to exchange eMessages and attach photos and eCards.
- You can snap a pic or choose from your gallery with Snap n’ Send.
- You can share a 30 second video with VideoGram.
You can do video communication through the Securus app on your mobile phone.
- You are able to enroll in video sessions.
- You are allowed to communicate with your loved one remotely from almost anywhere in the world as long as you have Wi-Fi or cellular data service.
- You are allowed to access and view your upcoming scheduled video communications.
- You are able to sync details of upcoming communications with your calendar.
- You are able to receive notifications for upcoming communications.
- Make sure to test Wi-Fi or cellular connection to determine quality of video.
Managing Your Securus Video Connect Account
You have to add a Facility before you do your video visitation. It can be done by logging in to your online account and then you have to click on the Manage Account. After that, you have to click on the Add A New Facility tab. You have to choose the state and facility that you want to add and then click on the Add Facility. After that, there will be a pop up which confirms the action and the thing that you have to do is to choose OK.
You will see that the recently added facility will show as ‘pending’ until it is approved. After it is approved, it will show ‘Schedule’.
If you want to check the transaction history, it can be done by logging in to Securus Online. Then, you have to access the Securus Video Connect tile and click on Manage Account. You have to choose the Transaction Details tab. The details field that you can see are Date paid, Incarcerated Individuals Name, Appointment Date/Time, Session Fee, Transaction Fee, Fee Source, and Details.
If you want to request, access for approval to schedule a session, you can do that like this:
- You have to request access by choosing Manage Account.
- After that, you have to choose Add New Facility and Choose State. Also, choose Facility and choose Add Facility button.
- You will get a confirmation message and the status will show as pending until the facility approves the user.
Now, how to schedule a session? After you are approved by the facility, there will be an option which says “Schedule to Visit”. Depending on the type of visitation that the user wants to have, the user is allowed to schedule an appointment based on what is available. Each site will show the type of visitation that they offer. it means that not all sites offer remote, onsite, or both options.
When you schedule a visit, you will be required to read the terms and conditions and asked to accept the Terms and Conditions. If you want to schedule a visit, you must choose the type of visit and click the Schedule Visit button. Then, you will search for the Incarcerated Individual by First and Last name or Incarcerated Individual ID, choose the duration, choose the date, and choose the time. Let’s say that the visit is a remote visit. If so, you will be asked for payment information and the user will confirm the appointment.