Sometimes, you will need to find out where an inmate is located. After knowing where an inmate is imprisoned, you can know some information available such as the inmate’s detention period, release date, sentence summary, offenses, etc. Through Inmate Search system, it provides easiness for people who want to find out the information about an inmate
Today, most prisons have implemented a jail system that allows inmates and their family and friends stay-connected. If you’re trying to find out where an inmate is located, you can try to use the Inmate Search tool to make it easier for you to find the information. Let’s dive into our post below to know how to use the Inmate Search tool!
What Is an Inmate Search Tool?
Inmate Search Tool is an online, electronic database that allows people to look for an inmate’s information. This tool can easily be accessed by the public to look for an incarcerated individual. It aims to make finding out a state or federal inmate easier.
In fact, inmates are frequently cut off from contacting the world outside of prison. Certainly, their family and friends become cut off from them in prison. There are so many reasons why staying-connected with inmates is very difficult including the restriction of correspondence, the policies of visiting and telephone.
Some studies have proven that inmates who stay-connected with their families and friends actually have lower recidivism rates, particularly because of the enhanced support network that they can rely on while in prison and after release.
Where to Find an Inmate Search Tool?
Before looking for information about where an inmate is located, you should know which type of prisoner belongs to. It is known that in the United States, inmates can be housed in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons, any of the state prison systems or even a private prison which contracts with either federal prison system or one of the state prison systems.
Of course, either federal inmates or state inmates will use the different Inmate Search tool. So, it’s very important to know which type of prisoner your loved one is imprisoned in. However, if you’re trying to find a prison but do not know what prison systems an inmate is incarcerated in, you may need to do the following things:
1) Try to look for the state’s department of corrections inmate locator for the state where an inmate lived before their incarceration. Of course, the Inmate Search tool may provide the information you’re looking for.
2) After that, you can try the Federal Bureau of Prisons inmate locator. Well, the BOP inmate locator probably has the information you look for, since state and federal crimes can be committed and prosecuted in every state and jurisdiction of the United States.
How to Use an Inmate Search Tool?
After knowing the prison system of an inmate either federal system or state system, you can then try to use inmate search tools to locate where an inmate is located. Here’s what you should do:
1) For Federal Inmates
Finding a federal inmate is pretty easy. To use the Inmate Search tool if an incarcerated individual is a federal inmate, you just simply go to the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Inmate Locator tool HERE. You can then use the inmate’s BOP Register Number or by the inmate’s first and last name.
Searching by name is a bit easier, as you can further limit your search results by inputting their race, age and also gender. This way can really help in some cases where the name is common or the basic search results net many inmates.
In addition to searching by name, you can also use an inmate’s BOP register number. This number is an inmate identification number after entry into the Federal Bureau of Prisons. This uniquely identifies each inmate for tracking and control purposes.
The BOP register number can also be used for an inmate number search. This number also refers to many different numbers, including:
- Inmate Number
- Prison Number
- DOC Number
- Inmate ID Number
- Inmate Identification Number
- Register Number
- BOP Number
Well, regarding what this identifier is called, this number actually refers to the specific number that is assigned to each inmate. In addition to finding out the information where an inmate is located, this number can also be used for several purposes such as adding funds on an inmate’s commissary account, sending email to them, and even visiting them.
2) For State Inmates
Looking for a state inmate is like what you do when searching for a federal inmate. However, if searching for federal inmates is performed in a one page search inmate tool, but looking for a state inmate is carried out in each prison, based on the location where an inmate is incarcerated.
Of course, each Department of Correction in the United States will have their own website and also provide the Inmate Search tool within. To make it easier for you to find out the official site of the Department of Correction in each state, we recommend you to use the usa.gov website.
To use an inmate search tool for state inmates, you need to find out the official site of the Department of Correction based on which state an inmate is imprisoned. To use usa.gov website to search for official site of Department of Correction in each state, here’s what you should do:
- First, visit usa.gov/corrections.
- Once you are at the page of usa.gov/correction, you can then find your state or territory. By clicking the drop-down menu.
- In the drop-down menu, you can see a list of all states in the United States.
- After clicking a state, you can then click on the ‘Go’ button to start finding the official site of the Department of Correction.
- By clicking the ‘Go’ button, the following page will show the official site of the Department of Correction based on a state you’ve chosen.
- At the official Department of Correction site for a state, you can then explore every navigation available in the site until you find ‘Inmate Search’ or ‘Find an Inmate’.
- After finding it, you can then use the tool to look for information about an inmate who is imprisoned in that Department of Correction.